- When I copy and paste from Word, I get weird symbols and "codes".
When copying and pasting text from MS Word documents into Sakai you must use the "paste from Word" option to avoid copying underlying "code" that MS Word inserts. If you do not use this option then the text you paste into the Rich Text Editor will initially look fine but when you "post" that text (e.g. post a new Announcement or Forum message) it will appear as garbled symbols or "codes".
The "Paste from Word" option in the Rich Text Editor can be accessed by clicking on the clipboard icon with the "W" on it which is located in the upper row of the Rich Text Editor toolbar (see example tool bar below). A new window will pop open into which you can paste the MS Word text. The click the "OK" button (NOT the "clear up box" button) and the text, minus the underlying "codes", will be pasted in.
For further instructions on using the Rich Text Editor, please see the Best Practices Guide for Using the Rich Text Editor.
- My course does not appear in my Sakai account.
If your Course Site doesn't appear in your Sakai account, it may be because your course has not started yet and is not yet available to students. Please contact your instructor or program director to confirm that your course is using Sakai and when it will be available to students to access.
- My course does not appear in my quick links on the top red banner area.
Click "Sites" to see a full list of course sites to which you have access. If you would like an active course to appear in your quick links, click the star to the left of this course title and make it one of your "Favorite Sites".
- I am unable to log in to Sakai.
It can take 1-2 business days for your Account to become active in Sakai. If you have just recently become a student, please check back in a day or so to see if you can sign in. If you have been a student for a while and you receive a message indicating that "The account or password entered was not correct", then:
- Check to make sure you are using a valid Account.
- Check that the spelling of the Account is correct.
- Check to make sure that the "Caps Lock" is not on as passwords are case sensitive.
- I am uploading a file but it does not appear in my Resources folder.
This problem may occur if you have exceeded the maximum file size upload set by your system administrator. The maximum file size for one single upload is 500 MB.
- Minimum system and web browser requirements for accessing Sakai.
Hardware: At least 512MB of RAM
Sakai requires one of the following web browsers:
- Chrome (Windows, Mac) - free download
- Firefox (Windows, Mac, or Linux) - free download
- Safari (Mac) - free download
- Internet Explorer, version 8 or higher (Windows)- free, available through Windows update
You may also require additional plugins (Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, etc.), depending on the resources that your instructor uses. Please make sure these are up to date to prevent issues in opening downloaded documents.
Other web browsers and OS combinations such as Opera and Konqueror, etc. may work, but are known to have some incompatibilities.
Older web browsers such as Netscape 4.8 or Internet Explorer 8 or earlier (for Windows or Macintosh) will not work.
- Can I access Sakai on mobile devices?
Sakai is responsive on smart phones, tablets, and other mobile devices. We highly recommend that any items that are time sensitive or grade dependent (such as tests and assignments) be completed or submitted from a full-sized, Ethernet connected device.
- What is the "Watch" feature in Forums?
The Sakai "Watch" feature allows you to receive email notifications when forum responses are authored in a particular course. You can choose options to receive notifications on all threads, no threads, or just those threads in which you have authored a post. For more information about Forums, please read this Posting in Forums Tip Sheet.
- What does the "Mark for Review" option mean in Tests and Quizzes?
Mark for Review is meant for questions you are not sure of and want to refer back to BEFORE you submit your exam.
Warning: Once you click "Submit for Grading" you cannot go back to the questions you have marked, the exam is submitted!
More tips are available in the Taking Exams in Sakai Student Tip Sheet.